#26: The Eighteen Diaries | Films That Define Me

July 25, 2017

Dear Diary,


As a new adult, I'd like to start off a little online diary. A page-to-page manual of all the stuff from my childhood, so adult me can have something to look back on! I have a post set for 12/05/2020 (my 21st birthday) - a letter I wrote to 'future me' on my 18th birthday. I'm hoping I can keep this series up for a while so older Hannah can reminisce.




So, to tell older me a bit about myself, I thought I'd compile a few of my favourite films and a few favourite quotes, so older Hannah gets my present sense of taste. Starting with...


Tomorrowland (2015)


This Disney film is my all-time, feel-good, awe-inspiring, go-to movie when I need a pick-me-up. (A lotta' hyphens in that sentence!) It tells the story of a world built by creative geniuses and how it went wrong - saved by a boy who never really grew up, a robot girl who can't and a "special" young lady who's not afraid to dream. What more could an eccentric want? As someone who was in and out of therapy for a lot of my childhood, an escape world like 'Tomorrowland' is a safe haven for me. It's a film for all those who don't quite fit society's mould, inspiring us to express ourselves and our passions.


Lucy (2014)


I LOVE this quote. It's almost a motto of everything I believe. Lucy is a character who, when a drug is mistakenly leaked into her bloodstream, is able to "access 100% of her brain". Once she can, she realises everything around her, on Earth, is quantified, to bring down the infinite nature of our existence. We invented numbers and letters to make the universe comprehensible, but outside of our atmosphere, these things don't exist. I love it because this film does so much more than entertain you. It makes you see the bigger picture and can go two ways: Inspire you... or cause an existential crisis. Not for the faint of heart!


Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)



It's not actually on my favourites list, unlike the above films. But growing up, I have always associated with one character in particular. Luna Lovegood spoke to me on an emotional level and J.K. Rowling herself has spoken about Luna as, "likely to believe 10 impossible things before breakfast" - a slight one-up on Alice there. As a 'Claw through and through, it's Luna's proud sense of self and 'give a f*ck' attitude that I have embraced throughout my teenage years and that's why this film is on the list... (although I loved the book more! 😉)

Bonus Fact: I used to be a Hufflepuff up until age 14. After embracing sense of self, I realised I am a Ravenclaw through and through!

*

The films that I love make a point about our society now. Use of creativity to change the future, abandonment of tradition, embracing sense of self. I love the idea of not being afraid of change, of exploration. These films say that thinking outside the box makes a big impact. And that's what life is. An impact on the Earth's timeline. I intend to make mine as big as possible!


What films do you think define you? Let me know in the comments and remember...



Hannah x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

What do you think? There's lots more to come..