#8: Drama School Audition Experience (GSA)

February 19, 2017

Dear Thespians!

I recently "did the rounds" as one might say, applying for drama school this year. Now, I only applied for two, as I have also applied for universities and the ones I have applied for are government-funded, so I do get Student Loan for my tuition fees.
The drama schools I applied for are Guildford School of Acting (GSA) and East 15.
And these were my courses:
GSA - BA Actor Musician (Unsuccessful)
East 15 - BA Acting and Contemporary Theatre (Yet to hear, will update!)

For future applicants, I'm going to tell you about the day and give some advice to newcomers to the drama school audition process.

This is Part One, GSA...

GSA: BA Actor Musician

I auditioned for the course on the 28th January 2017. I drove up with my dad in the morning, to arrive by 8:00, for an 8:30 start. Once there, I registered, gave in my passport photo and got a sticky name label.
(Top Tip: Wear something that the label will stick to and something you won't have to take off at all throughout the day - i.e: a t-shirt, as opposed to a cardigan.)
For future applicants, the letter I received said "passport-style" so I was confused as to whether that meant passport-size, or non-smiling. It basically means "tiny headshot so they can recognise you". I took mine in the exact clothing, hair and makeup that I would be wearing in the audition room, to make it easier for the panel to identify me.

Next, everyone went into the audition room - blackbox theatre-style, with a sprung floor, two long desks for the panel, a drum kit and electric piano (this was specifically for the Actor Musician course, as these are the instruments they provide for musicians of that discipline.) There were about 30 of us in the room, more than I expected, so slightly intimidating at first! We worked with the voice teacher, who had us walk around the room, stop and then say the first line of our classical monologue in various different ways (to each other, to a corner of the room, loudly, softly, etc.) Then we did a few movement exercises, working on posture, breath - the normal things expected from a warm-up and nothing too difficult. 
Advice for this section: Own the space. When they say walk around the room, this means "how can you impress us with yourself, your body, your confidence?" I went to the GSA summer school and learnt to walk with my head held high and a confident, content but neutral facial expression... If that makes any sense!

We sat in a semicircle and one-by-one, got up to do our monologues. I wanted to go first really, but ended up in the middle of the semicircle and they started from the ends. So, if you want to get in there quickly, pick the end of a line - you might be first, you might be last, but I would say both are better than where I was. They actually redirected us without even seeing the original, so that was very confusing and I was disappointed with what I did, because I didn't quite understand the instruction and because I wasn't prepared to be immediately redirected. The director said "throw away any idea of what you were going to do", which I personally thought was slightly unfair, as I, like many I am sure, had spent months perfecting the monologue and so what I did didn't do justice to what I could really do. 
Top Tip: Always be prepared for ANYTHING. Know your monologue well and don't rely too heavily on rehearsed movement - it can look wooden/stiff and limit your freedom with improvisation.


A scenic shot of me and my dance teacher (ducking) at GSA Intensive Beginners Dance summer school

Then, the bane of every actor-musician's life: Dance.
They give you time to change. I changed my bra for a sports bra and took off my cardigan but that was it, as I had been wearing a leotard under leggings anyway. This paid off as it got me noticed. The director of voice commented on how everyone had changed the colour of their top and now were unrecognisable, then used me as an example for how to dress (hoorah!)
I was feeling quite comfortable with my dance ability. I had been stretching every day, had joined a jazz class and a gym/conditioning class, plus the summer school at GSA last year was called 'Intensive Beginners Dance' and I had done really well there. I made it through cardio fine, I even enjoyed it! Then, we did a bit of corner work; some leaps, a few turns and basic step movements. I was prepared for these, thanks to my summer school last year. However, the routine was advanced. Many people struggled with it and what I ended up doing was definitely NOT the same as what the instructor did.
Advice: What they're looking for in this section is potential and the best thing you can do is stand at the front with a smile on your face and be an actor when you dance - make them look at your face, not your feet.

Ah, finally, the bits I know I can do! Singing and music. We started with song.
They call you up randomly and you perform to the panel, as well as the 30 other auditionees in the room (gulp!) All my music was taped together, as requested and the bars marked out on the score. This is essential, as it saved more time than the people who were chatting to the pianist before they performed. It makes you look more professional and it will be better appreciated by the panel. I sang 'The Girl In 14G' (Jeanine Tesori), but had two reserve songs prepared (not that they were needed.) These were 'A New Life' (Jekyll and Hyde) and 'Glitter And Be Gay' (Candide).
Advice: As well as having your music taped and marked with any speeds, dynamics, etc., you absolutely MUST know who wrote your song. They quiz you. As a reserve, might be worth knowing a couple of lines about the origins of your music/composer, just in case!

Music time! This is the most controversial section for me. GSA have removed the requirement for a Grade 8 certificate (thank goodness, because my exam's not until June!) However, they do expect you to be of a high standard and it is preferred if you have an ABRSM Grade 5 Music Theory certificate, so they have proof of your musical understanding. One thing I did find out was that they do not like pianists. In fact, the director of the course said "as a pianist, if you are accepted, the first thing we will do is take you off of the piano". They literally won't even teach it to you. This is because it is not portable and so difficult to use in a showcase. Personally, as a grade 8 pianist, this hit me right in the feels because piano, to me, is about much more than a 3rd year GSA showcase. However, this is the information I was given and as instructed, I prepared a second instrument. I did get to play them some of my piano piece (a whole nine bars) and received really wonderful feedback on that. The pianist, who accompanied me in my song, stood behind me as I played and after stopping me, said I was an "exceptional musician"! I also played an original song on my ukulele, which they again complimented me on.
I don't really have any advice here, as it went as planned in my case. The best thing I can state is the obvious: Be prepared!

This was followed by a short interview, which, I won't lie, was the worst thing I have ever sat through in my entire seventeen-and-a-half years. It contained the most embarrassing moment of my life and one which I shall not digress on the world wide web.
My only advice: Know why you want to study the course, compared to other places and er... don't insult the director of voice.*

*unintentionally, of course


I hope this was useful to any upcoming applicants, or even to my readers who just wondered what I got up to on that day. As I said, my application was unsuccessful, but they made me pretty aware of that during the interview. I didn't get official feedback until 6 days later, but they gave me the view that they thought I'd be better suited to a university drama course.

Stay tuned for part deux - East 15: BA Acting and Contemporary Theatre

And remember,

There's lots more to come... 


Hannah x

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi Hannah, I just wanted to say that your blog was absolutely wonderful and you have such great potential, as a blogger and in the big world of musicals! Keep up the great work and you'll make it big one day! - A

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? There's lots more to come..