#13: Peter Pandemonium - Adventures of a Musical Director

April 15, 2017

If you have visited my YouTube channel at any point, you may know that I have participated in shows with a company called RARE Productions. Well, this year, they employed me as the Musical Director for my area and I became part of the show team... I even have the t-shirt to prove it!

So, "think of something wonderful" and promise me you'll "never grow up" as I take you on a journey through Peter Pandemonium... Well come along, "Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning!"

Auditions

Our tale begins back in November 2016, when I auditioned for my area's production of 'Peter Pan: A Musical Adventure'. I did the singing, acting and dancing (to some extent!) and had a recall to read for a couple of characters. Then, I received a letter in the post which told me... drumroll please... that I had been chosen to play PETER PAN! Now, this was all very exciting for all of three days, until I was offered the position of Musical Director for that same show and had to make the hardest decision of my life: Title Role or MD. For an aspiring performer/director, this was like making me choose between children.

The Prep

Having sacrificed the title role in the name of working with one of my closest friends (find her blog righty HERE - she's posting part deux of these adventures tomorrow!) I received the script, score and keyboard and set to work learning all the music. Out of the whole four month process, this was the hardest part of making Pan, simply because nobody really knows any of the music. It's an absolutely beautiful soundtrack and I urge you to download it HERE - you won't regret it!

The First Rehearsal

"Aaaaaaa!" my brain screamed as the butterflies in my stomach threatened to 'flutter' up my lunch. It was just a little bit terrifying singing music nobody knew in front of a cast of 8-21 year olds. The most frightening bit was doing it in front of my co-workers, both of whom had seen MDs come and go and who had both done many shows before. BUT it was all okay! The kids seemed to pick up the first song in no time and before long it was over to the choreographer to put it on its feet (aka start the dancing...)

More Rehearsals

We had a total of 10 rehearsals, not including tech/dress runs, which adds up to 40 hours in which to make a show. Sounds like a lot but in actual fact the ensemble was split into 90 minute groups so we only really had 15 hours per group, to teach the show to! Crazy, but somehow we managed it. And, I still managed to have fun with my show team along the way. Big thank you to Hollie and Wendy, without whom I could not have even attempted the production!

Slight Stumbles

There were a few mishaps along the way, namely the keyboard having a meltdown and me doing as I was instructed and "turning it off and on again". Also, general working with children struggles, such as a child being sick, an eight-year old boy flirting with the girls and two kids having a water fight mid-rehearsal. Through it all, I couldn't help but laugh at some of the helpless expressions myself and the director pulled, as our wonderful choreographer handled it like a BOSS.

Show Week

And the butterflies have returned as we enter into the dress rehearsals. One of which went brilliantly, the other... erm... well...
Anyhow, the majority of the numbers went well, especially from a musical perspective. The chorus took to the stage like dynamite and I was very impressed with the passion put into some of the main cast's songs. Myself and the show team made some notes, got everything sorted and then... we realised it was Thursday: Opening Night.

The Shows

I was definitely more nervous for show number 1 than for anything else. I have never known pressing buttons to be so stressful. But, upon a great run of Act One, I relaxed a little. The rest of the show ran smoothly on the whole and we were set up for a great run of shows over the coming few days. We had a small band - myself on keys and our brilliant drummer, Peter*.

*Yes, we have Peter the Drummer and Wendy the Choreographer in Peter Pan. We also had a George playing George Darling and a John playing Starkey. But don't get me started.

But, the fun was in more than just the shows. After all, the show team got to the theatre a little earlier than the cast... Have a look at what we did when all the setting up was done...

Hard at work...

Such a poser, up in my balcony!

A face at the window?


Asleep on the job - it was a long day!


I can't wait to do it all over again in our next show! Let me know what musicals you've been loving and remember,




Hannah x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

What do you think? There's lots more to come..